Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Pilot to Navigator - Let's Go

I have yet to venture out on my own in the car. I need my navigator - Tanya. Why? Well there is so much to concentrate on when driving that I cannot read the street signs and keep our car in one piece.

Our poor car has been taking a beating from underneath already. Mexico does not need traffic police to control the speed of traffic. Instead they use "topes" or as we say "speed bumps". These bumps come in various styles and sizes and if you hit one too quickly the bottom of your car and or your shocks take the hit.

Styles:
- 4 feet wide and 1 foot high;
- 4 feet wide and 1 foot deep (inverted tope);
- 2 feet wide and 6 inches high;
- 8 inches wide and 8 inches high;
- metal half spheres 1 foot in diameter spaced 1 foot apart;
- the repaired cement that looks like a tope but is not.

Okay you may say, "I can get over those". Yes, we can easily navigate these road disturbances but... they appear at random and are mixed just to keep you on your toes.

So why do I need a navigator? Well first of all this is a new city for us and we do not know our way around yet so we need to follow a map or the GPS. Secondly, there are not always (rarely) lane markings and 2 lanes can easily hold 3 cars so you need to watch both sides of the car. Also, double parking seems to be standard and motorcycles can lane split (drive between cars). Did I mention pot holes and unmarked road works.

When you add the surprise of a tope while watching ahead and all sides at the same time it is very risky having your eyes stray to an interesting landmark or a street sign. (I didn't even include the buses)As soon as you do "wham", you hit a tope. I am getting used to watching the car ahead as a warning beacon of upcoming topes.

Every day it gets better. That is, less under car scraping. I am sure that in no time at all I will be going solo. But for now, I'll take along my navigator.

Note: Tope is pronounced as 2 syllables with the accent on the first.

No comments: