Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Calling from Mexico on the cheap

Long distance calling is normally an expensive proposition but not any more. In Mexico we are using Skype (http://www.skype.com) to make our calls to Canada for free or just pennies.

We can call another Skype user from our computer to theirs at no charge. We the person on the other end of the call has a camera we can also see each other as we talk. This is a great feature for keeping in touch. We can also move the camera around so that the other person can see the landscape of where we are (provided it is not dark outside).

Some Skype users like my brother and sister have "call forwarded" their account to their telephones so that I can contact them even when they are not online. These are free calls.

My parents do not have a computer so I call to their home telephone directly. I have set up a Skype credit of C$14.00 for this purpose. The calls are less that $0.03 per minute. At that rate I can talk all day and I expect that the C$14.00 will last for the 6 months that we are away.

If you have Skype why not add us to your contact list. Our Skype names are Ralph.Gault and Tanyalapierre. Why not call us some time?

No comments: