Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Interesting Observations

I am beginning this post today but I think that I will continue to update it as I observe new interesting things. These are things that are particular to Oaxaca and probably all of Mexico and foreign to Canadians. Remember that these are observations and not critiques.


Postage Stamps: There are 3 interesting things about postage stamps. Some that denote a special person or event can be very large. We had some that were probably 3x4 inches. There wasn't enough room on the face of the letter so we had to wrap it around onto the back. Some envelopes took three of these stamps so we had to put one on the back side of the envelope. I am sure this would not work in Canada. At the post office they do not lick the stamps, they use wet clear glue. May I add that they use the glue in excess such that even the front of the stamp gets wet with glue. After the lady helpfully placed the glued stamps on my letter I was reluctant to actually put it in the mail slot. I was concerned that the wet glue would stick itself to someone elses letter and then where would it end up? I waited until the glue dried before slipping it into the mail slot.

Traffic: In the busy inner-city it is acceptable to double park as long as there is room to get around you. I have even seen people trying to parallel park between two already double parked cars. This is definitely acceptable. But, hesitate at a stop light and the horns will blare.

I took this picture out of my car window. Note that the cars on the left are parked on this one-way street leaving the single lane on the right free for traffic.
Stop Signs: I have only seen three in all of my time in this city. Traffic control is simple, north/south traffic has the right-of-way while east-west traffic waits for an opening. Of course there are traffic lights downtown but no simple stop signs. The speed of traffic is influenced by the strategic placement of speed bumps near where cross walks would be or where there is a long run north/south where drivers may be tempted to increase their speed.

Drinking Water: It is strongly recommended that you do not drink the water as it is not filtered. Everyone uses the large water bottles that you can have delivered or pick up at the corner store for C$1.10 each. Above each tap in our house there is a sign that reads "DO NOT DRINK OAXACA TAP WATER".


Regular Water: House hold water is provided by the municipality but it is only for washing, not drinking. However, the water is delivered weekly into the house's reservoir that holds 10,000 liters. The city opens its taps until the personal reservoirs are filled then the tap is turned off. The house reservoir is usually underground and there is a pump that pumps the water up onto the roof into a large tank. That is how the house gets its water pressure.

Hot water is provided by an external propane water heater that is on the outside of the house.



Sanitation: Let's talk toilette paper. There is a sign by each of our toilets that reads "DO NOT FLUSH TOILETTE PAPER DOWN THE COMODE ANYWHERE IN THE CITY OF OAXACA. FOLD IT CAREFULLY AND PLACE IT IN THE WASTEBASKET PROVIDED". Apparently the waste water purification system is not capable of processing paper. Now this activity is very foreign to me but after a period of time I have adjusted.


Gas: Our stove and water heater runs on gas, well propane actually. Apparently we have a large propane tank on our roof that should last us three months. It will be an adventure when we have to get it refilled. I hear the delivery trucks all day long driving around the community with a loud speaker that says "Gas Oaxaca" preceded by a horn that sounds like a braying cow and followed by music. I have seen the trucks and they are large pickup trucks with propane canisters in the back. I wonder if they carry these tanks (about 4 feet tall and 1 foot in diameter)to the roof and then transfer the propane to my tank. We will soon see. Stay tuned for future developments.


Garbage Pickup: They do not pick up garbage, we deliver the garbage. Actually, twice a week at 7:00 AM a city garbage truck comes by. You can tell when it is near because it rings a cow bell. It is then up to us to take our garbage out to the curb and flag down the truck. We then have to throw it up into the truck. However, I hear the 7:00 AM bell but haven't yet made it out of bed and to the curb. But not to worry, there is another alternative. On Sunday, late afternoon there is another garbage truck but it is a private operation. It too rings its bell and I take my garbage to the curb and throw it into the truck. This costs me 1 peso (10 cents) per bag. This is a ready price I am willing to pay for not having to spring out of bed in the morning for garbage.

Animal Control: If there is such a thing as Animal Control I have not seen it. Dogs normally lay around the yard or the front of the house during the day. They are not tied up and at night roam around in packs. In our neighbourhood they seem to bark all night. Especially at 2:00 AM. Turkeys, we already mentioned that they live next door in the back yard. They are usually quiet except between 6:00 AM and 9:00 AM. Tanya can now do an impressive "gooble-gobble". I have also seen donkeys grazing next to the sidewalk untethered and in pens next to a house. Of course we have the free range chickens that always want to run across the street whenever we drive down the hill.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've encountered the toilette paper anomaly with people that have moved here from South America, they said it also has sometihng to do with the size of the drain pipes in some of the older communities, here they throw the paper on the floor beside the toilette. It seems you're having an interesting time, and a little culture shock can be good for the enthusiasm, don't say that garbage delivery thing too loud up here, some one might try to make it work here,can you imagine? grid lock in Toronto, every car full of garbage. Hey Ralph, how're the cigars? Is there any fishing? Keep having fun. steve xo :0)

Angela Rose Lapierre said...

Love this post! Are the dogs friendly?

Sean wants me to get some samples while I am down...interested in going to meet a contact for me down at the University?

Let me know about the fishing too...perhaps we can have a collection day...

xxx
A

winniedozois said...

Hi you two, the toliet paper thing would make my stomach turn for awhile,but i guess you get used to it. Like any thing new. The traffic sounds like it would be fun to watch from the side lines. Can't wait to here about the propane exchange. It was fun talking to you from the computer. We will have to set up a day so we can talk again. Love Mom. xxxxoooooooooo

Angela Rose Lapierre said...

What about recycling? I was talking about the garbage pick-up with some friends and we were wondering if there was a recyling business as well...

I think we should start private garbage pick-up here too - it would seriously decrease the amount of garbage if we had to pay per bag.

xxx
A

T said...

No recycling :(