Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Banking From Mexico or OMG I lost my bank card

Banking internationally is really easy. From the internet you can access your accounts, pay home bills online, transfer money between your accounts and even send money to people by email. You can also go to just about any banking machine and get money from your accounts.

Yes, this is all very easy unless you leave your card in a bank machine and drive away. Yes, drive away without your card. This is what I did at a stop along the Gulf Coast on our way between Tampico and Veracruz.

Of course I did not realize that I did not have my card until I arrive in Oaxaca. Fortunately I have a business account and a personal account which means that I have two cards. Well I used to have 2 cards until I left my business banking card in the machine.

But not to worry, just call the bank, cancel the card and transfer money to my personal account. Now the trick is to get a new business banking card with a new number so that I can access the account online. Not so easy. Apparently they can not give out a bank card number over the telephone. This is a problem because I receive income into my business account which I then transfer to my personal account as needed.

The solution? Have the bank issue a new card and mail it to my home address. No way was I going to have then mail it to Mexico and guarantee that I would actually receive it. Again, by fortune or luck I have our home email being forwarded to a trusted friend in Toronto who will receive my card within 5 to 7 business days. I can get the card number then and will be able to do online banking on my business account. In the interim I can call the bank and have them transfer money between my accounts.

But, if I had the Post Office hold my mail until April I would have to be calling the bank for every transaction.

What did I learn from his experience? Keep copies of all your cards not just the credit cards and the account numbers.

1 comment:

T said...

I am now considering moving all our banking to HSBC. At the truck stop between the Emerald Coast and Veracruz, at a HSBC bank machine is where Ralph left his card. They also have a great relocation and international assignee program, which I know about from working in Global Mobility. Something to explore when we get home... the branches in Oaxaca are also convenient!