Monday, November 2, 2009

School Field Trip

Today is a national holiday so the Spanish School was closed. So, we students went on a field trip to the south of the city of Oaxaca. We met at 9:30 AM at the coffee shop next to the school and headed off.

Our first stop was at San Bartolo Coyotepec. Entering into the town we turned off to go to the Cochineal museum and research station. Cochineal is a very little bug that attaches itself to the nopal cactus. It is the larva of this bug that is dried and ground to make a very natural red dye. This dye is used in coloring rugs and a natural color in such things as Campbell soup, campari and yogurt. Unfortunately for us, the facility was closed for the holiday.

So on we went to the Black pottery shops in the town. The black pottery is made from iron rich clay that when fired with a reduction of oxygen, turns black. I got to practice my Spanish in the shop when I asked how the pottery turned black. Apparently my Spanish needs more work because the gentleman proceeded to tell us how the shine was put on the pottery. That is, by rubbing metal over the pottery before it is fired.

Next we moved onto San Martin Tilcajete to see the colourful painted animals called Alebrijes. Below is a picture of my class mates outside of one of the shops. From left to right are Alex and Laura, a couple from San Francisco and Betty from Switzerland.

School chums

Below is an example of a major piece. This elephant is on sale for C$140. It is beautiful. These pieces must take many hours just to paint. This piece was created by Joaquin Hernandez who kindly allowed me to take a picture. Probably because my Spanish was so good.

Elephant
This town is well worth the visit. I am sure this will be on the itinerary for everyone visiting us.

We had lunch at the same place that Tanya and I did back in 2006 when we were here last. This time it wasn't raining.

Then off to Ocotlan, the birth place of Rodolfo Morales. This is a larger town with a spectacular church.

Church

This church is very well maintained. The painting and artwork inside are outstanding. After a walk through the church we walked through the street market and then back through the closed in permanent market building. Tanya and I have been in Ocotlan on the Friday market day which is packed with people and vendors. There was a stage set up next to the main square but the entertainment must have ended. No folk dancing with pinapples on your shoulder today. This was about 3:00 PM and even the vendors were breaking down their displays.

So back to Oaxaca we went. Time for a nap and to complete our Spanish homework. It was a great day.

2 comments:

Angela Rose Lapierre said...

I want that elephant...I think I will have to limit myself to 2 purchases when I down...with all these cool things that you guys are talking about I am already drooling just thinkig of trying to do everything in 2 weeks!

I am so excited to come and visit you guys! I think I mention it everyday. Ayla has already started a count down - I think there is 46 dodos left...

Love you
xxx
A

winniedozois said...

Ralph sounds like you are doing ok. The pictures you sent of the elephant, church are beautiful. Well enjoy the rest of the week. Love Mom. XXxxOOOOO