Tuesday, November 10, 2009

First Haircut in Mexico

picture of Ralph with new haircut
Okay, so I couldn't wait until I got back to Toronto for a trim. I was going to let it grow out but I like it short in this heat. Since February 1987 I have gotten my hair cut by my buddy David. Only on one occasion did someone else cut my hair and that was because Dave took a holiday and I didn't get the memo. I feel that I have crossed the line and betrayed my relationship with Dave. I hope he understands.

So, I found this little barber shop next to the city's central square (Zocolo). The front side of the shop is open to the sidewalk so when you are in the "chair" you are an arm's length from the passersby and any side walk vendors who may want to sell you something. When I arrived I sat in one of the 5 waiting chairs next to another waiting customer. The barber who must be at least 75 was cutting another older man's hair. The barber stopped cutting and went over to a side table and brought me a couple of magazines to read while I was waiting my turn. There were 3 barber chairs but only one barber at that time.

The barber finished with the older man and then the young man beside me took the chair. As he was getting into the chair he pointed at a picture on the wall above me to indicate the style he wanted. When he was done I compared the picture to the finished product. I am not sure but I think the young man just got the same style he arrived with but only shorter.

Now it was my turn. I took the chair and was prepared to astonish the barber with my Spanish as I was going to tell him that I only wanted a trim and to take off about one half of an inch. But, before I could say anything he asked "regular?". Whoa! that seemed to sum it all up so I just said, "Si".

When he was done I asked the price and he said 50 pesos. In Canadian that is a little less than $5.00. I just couldn't do it. At home that is a $30.00 trim with a wash and massage. Now granted I did not get a wash and massage but still, 5 dollars?

I think he did a reasonable job. You can judge for yourselves from the picture. So I tipped him 100%. Yes, a $10 trim. Still a deal as I see it.

Don't worry Dave, I won't be looking for a discount when I return to Toronto.

3 comments:

winniedozois said...

Nice hair cut, still looks like you. Wow $5.00, what a good price. so i guess your Spanich classes are doing very well. We are going to the Field of Honor today to remember the fallen ones, where Steve Dad is buried. You Should see all the Candian flags they have put in thr ground to remember all the dead soilders. It like they say row among row. Talk to you soon. Love Mom. xxxxxxxxxxooooooooo

Anonymous said...

Hello Ralph - nice haircut, a very neat job. Be careful not to over tip - you want to stay below the radar with the town and not look like you have extra money. I wish you many happy days my friend. Be safe. Missing you both.

Cheers, Azhar

Wendy said...

Nice! Miss you guys!

WB