Thursday, November 12, 2009

Monte Alban - the Niagara Falls of Oaxaca


We had a friend visit us for a few days, just before I left to San Francisco. Other than let her rest after a hard week on the road and a bit of stress in Mexico City airport, we hadn't really planned too much other than puttering around the city, visiting and chatting. When we were here in 2006, Ralph and I took a bus out to Monte Alban. I had wanted to go again, so convinced Bonnie to be agreeable to trek around a ruin with me. Other than launching Little Blue into the air because we were chatting and failed to notice another tope, the drive there was easy, it's about 25 minutes from the house. On arriving we look for a shady place to part. Not happening. So we park in the sun, grab our sun hats I had thought to take from the house, and off we go.



The last time we were at Monte Alban, we had hired a guide. I recommend, very strongly, that you do the same. The cost is very little and the value is incredible. They are knowledgeable, well spoken and shuttle you from shady spot to shady spot. Allow about 90 minutes to get a good appreciation of the site. When Bonnie and I were going through the entry turnstile, I asked about a guide. Seemed everyone was busy, another guy was waiting for a bus, another guy was off on lunch. I was not walking through the site without a guide. So, being my usual self, I spotted a grey haired, older, taller tourist and asked if we could join his group. He agreed, and the Homosexual Kentucky Reformed Baptists and Bonnie and I, along with our guide Julio, set off to see the sights. The Boys were a riot! Wherever they are today, Bonnie and I send our love. We had a few good laughs as we toured the site, some confusion about my virginity (we were discussing sacrifices) and we climbed ALL THOSE STAIRS. We had a great day, and then finished it off with a lunch in their amazing cafe and a short tour of the gift shop and museum. As I was snapping pictures of one of the most amazing ruins I have visited, I wondered out loud to Bonnie how many times over the next 6 months I would be taking pictures of Monte Alban. My friends in Toronto and I have a friendly competition. If you are not originally from Toronto and have lots of visiting family, Niagara Falls is part of every family and friend visit. I have a feeling Monte Alban is my new Niagara Falls.

2 down...


1 comment:

winniedozois said...

The site looks amazing love , looks like you are having a great time. The two pictures before i would say that picture no. 2 is of Italy, Let me know also. Lot's of love Mom. xxxxxxxxxxooooooo