Thursday, May 21, 2020

The Eternal Optimist

Many of you know that I am an optimist. I am the glass half full girl. Even at times in my life when things were the most difficult, I trusted that eventually things would work themselves out the way they are supposed to. I try to not hang on too much to an ideal solution. Things will work out the way they are supposed to. I trust. Be that in God or in The Universe, but I trust.

This glass was very full. And then, very empty.

I suppose being this way has its disadvantages, but being an optimist, you see, I try not to focus on that.

Many of you also know that I strive to live my best life, and a part of that best life was running Go Well Tours over the past 5 and a half years. I love running my business. All aspects of it. I love the early mornings, I love the days when I think I sweat so much on a hike it will take me 5 days to re-hydrate. I love the guests and the friends, the questions and the research. I love Oaxaca.




During the pandemic, the time at home, the day when we finally put our tour picnic table and chairs away and into storage (this past Sunday, where they have been since March 12th) , during the walks with the dogs on quiet streets and the Zoom calls with friends, during breakfasts and cooking and dog refuge days, I have wondered what exactly I would do AFTER. Some of my friends have continued to work, maybe from home, maybe remotely, maybe they are going into an office or a shop. My business is tourism. Which means, zero work.

We've talked, Ralph and I, lightly, about what we would do, AFTER. I would like to consider feeding people, running a small vegan restaurant here in my area. So many people don't really know what vegan food is here, and we are spoiled in Oaxaca with the freshness and availability of our fruits and vegetables. It will have an international bend to it, to celebrate what I believe connects us globally, the traditions of our food.

Oh, sexy produce...


And today we went bird watching. And we talked about building a birding tour day at Yagul. It is the first time we have really talked about our business actually surviving, growing. And it filled my spirit with joy. As much as I understand the concerns, about travel, about enclosed spaces, about deaths and disease and so many unknowns, I really hope that someday I get to show people this beautiful land I immigrated to.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tanya of all people, that I know can do this, you would be the one..Kee[ the spirits and the soul up and all will be well. If you go through with your restaurant. we will eat there Hugs Evelyne

Kay said...

I love your posts Tanya as I've mentioned before. :) And, I love you and Ralph. Such wonderful people and friends that you are. Dean and I, too, think what will we do AFTER. And, like you we, too, are hopeful.