Friday, January 8, 2010

The Jewish Canadian American Mexican Christmas Party

On December 22nd, the night before the Radish Festival, we invited a few people over to the house. We don't know many people, but between my sister and niece, Ralph and I and 11 other friends, we had a nice, fun get together. Our Oaxacan friends had asked us about our Canadian traditions the week before, and to be frank, I was a bit stumped for an answer. I said it really depended on your family. Some celebrate the 24th, some go to church, some go for a drive to see the Christmas lights. I also said that some people made gingerbread houses before Christmas. He asked me what those were. I asked him if he knew the cookies, the little men cookies, with "ginjebre" in the dough. He said yes, so I explained that you made a house out of the same dough and decorated it with candy.



Well, he was so excited by the concept I decided to make gingerbread houses as an activity for the party. After some Internet research to find a recipe for the dough and the icing, and then a hunt for the right type of candies, spices, sugars and molasses (another 5 different grocery stores), we were in business.

(Understand that this was my first gingerbread house attempt. My sister had made a house before, but she had bought a kit. Evidently the gingerbread out of the kits is not edible. This has been confirmed now by multiple sources.)


We made a total of three houses, 1 for each child who would be at the party. Or at least we thought it would be for the kids! The adults had more fun decorating the houses, deciding on plans, and our Oaxacan friends were in awe of the whole process. There was a small crisis when the group thought we were out of icing, and then some excitement as the houses started to cave in or collapse under the weight of the candy on the roof.

I can't wait to make them again next year!

1 comment:

Angela Rose Lapierre said...

You forgot to put Mexican in the title! I had forgotten about the OMG we are out of icing part! Don't forget to give Jamie the recipe (with a picture of a castle :)

Missing you so much already!
xxxx
A