Thursday, December 17, 2009

Learning Spanish

It has been two and a half months that I have been in Oaxaca and still I am not fluent in Spanish. Have I set my expectations too high? Maybe.

When I first arrived I could speak enough to ask for directions and order lunch. My vocabulary was small as was my confidence to speak.

Then I took lessons at the Becari Language School. For 2 hours a day for 6 weeks I took a grammar class followed by 2 hours of conversation. Over that time, in a class of 3 or 4 people, we studied the 7 major tenses and the subjunctive. With these and the conversation classes my confidence improved so that now I am able to ask more questions in the stores. However, at most times I do not understand the answers.

Now I am taking private lessons from Laura Olachea 2 times per week for 1 hour at a time. Her classes are in 3 parts. One part for conversation where I tell her about my activities. This helps me with my grammar and vocabulary. In another I read which helps me with pronunciation and finally I listen to her for comprehension.

Already after 2 weeks I have improved. I wonder now if I will be able to listen and comprehend what they say on television after 3 more months. I think so!

versión español

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Felice Navidad! That's about all the spanish I know and I'm not sure I spelled it correctly! Handy for this time of the year though. We hope you have a happy and warm Christmas. Not much snow here yet, however I have bought new x country ski boots and bindings and have joined a x country ski club - the Herring Belles (!?) so hopefully will find some new places to go. We shall miss our days out with you both. Again, all the best for Christmas and for 2010.

Jean and Him.