Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Toronto Return Shocks

Tanya has already made a few comments about Canadian and Mexican differences but I wanted to add my observations. First of all there was the return flight. The plane from Mexico City to Toronto barely had any people on it. There were 20 passengers and 3 Air Hostesses on a plane that could seat 240+ people. Shall I say that it was a very comfortable flight. When we arrived in Toronto there were no other incoming international flights. This meant that we had our choice of 2-3 customs officers. No line up here. Then on to get our baggage. And there it was, waiting for us on the carousal. Off we go to the car rental. Again no waiting in line. Now that is how air travel should be.

As we were heading out of the airport we encountered a dark strip about 2 feet wide running across the road. My first thought was that it was a "tope" (speed bump) so I shout "TOPE" but Tanya was already slowing down. No tope, just a road patch.

At home I hesitate throwing toilette paper down the flush. I feel guilty, but toss it anyway. I am surprised by my feelings of guilt.

In the morning I run the water while I shave to rinse my razor. Again I feel guilty wasting all of that water. In Mexico I have to consider that the city may not always deliver water so there is a constant awareness about water. But I am in Toronto, so I waste the water.

It is Tuesday morning. Normally I listen for the garbage truck at 6:50 AM so I have time to get my garbage out to the street corner for delivery. Not here, I see that everyone has their garbage cans neatly lined up by the curb for pickup.

Tanya and I drive to the church for Claire's wedding. We were running a bit late. I stop at a stop light - no cross traffic - I turn to Tanya and say, "If we were in Oaxaca I would blow through this stop light.". But no, I wait.

The nice thing about our Toronto house is that I just have to turn up the heat if I am chilled. In Oaxaca I have to put on a sweater and an extra blanket on the bed at night.

And yes, as my mother-in-law says, both Toronto and Oaxaca have their pluses and minuses. But it is pretty hard to beat the sun and warmth of Mexico.

1 comment:

winniedozois said...

Glad to see you and Claire are going to be busy. How is the beach? yes i agree with you Ralph nothing can bet the sun and the warmth it give you. But i see you have train you self in a few good way's, feeling guilty about wasting water is great, because we sur do take in for granted in Canada. Afew bad habits to i see. Like you said that's the way to fly no hassele's. Talk to you soon. Say hi to Claire for me. love and miss you both Mom. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooo