Friday, May 22, 2020

The Photography Workshop

Over a year ago now, with the help of a good friend here in Oaxaca (Martha), I planned, organized and attended a 9 hour Smartphone photography workshop. taught by The Karen Otter.



If you have an opportunity to ever take such a course, DO IT. I am actually thinking of asking her if she would be willing to try to do one online as I would adore a week of a fun class. Interested? Let me know...

But I wanted to tell you why I loved this class.

First, it gave me confidence with some photography basics and my own "eye", what I see and how I see it.



Second, it gave me permission to play with my phone. I don't know about you but in the past when I got a new phone I basically set up email, made sure that worked, and I was good to go. To actually take the time to learn what features my phone had, what they did, and how to best take advantage of them, was a gift!!



Next, it really pushed me to see things differently. The class was with about 9 other people, and we would go to the same place or walk the same path for our photography time, so trying to see something differently was a great challenge

It led to lots of play. I love having these skills in my pocket, quite literally. The class has brought about fun adventure on vacation in Mexico City, and our guests for Go Well have reaped the benefits.



I have developed some of my photos and framed them for a friend at her request, which was such a compliment! They looked great and that taught me to crop things a little differently, because the frame takes space I had not previously considered.



Things I want to learn next: food photography and dog/pet photography. A while back I thought I had lost 6 years of pictures when my computer crashed, so I also want to order, sort and backup all those great memories, and develop some, too!






No comments: