When two of our friends left, I shared with them that they had given us some of the best advice we ever had received about immigrating to another country. They both immigrated to Canada not so long ago, and told us that they made the mistake of treating the first 6 months they were here like a vacation. This piece of advice really resonated with us - how rich do you think you are when on vacation?
Some other great advice we received:
- Buy a sombrero as wide as your hips to make sure you stay shaded
- There is always a spare room available at a friends place to come back and visit
- You will eventually be stopped and asked for money - 17 years of good fortune in this area has to dry up sometime
- Just because some people eat it, does not mean you should eat it
- As we were downsizing and getting rid of our belongings, a friend told us that if we had things that held a memory but we did not want to get rid of them, to take a picture of the item and then donate it. the picture would bring back the memory just as fondly and sweetly as the actual article, but it was a whole lot easier to pack