Monday, January 19, 2015

The Pilgrimage: A Play in 1 act, 2 characters and a Pick Up Truck

Scene opens on the patio of a Church just outside Puebla, Mexico.

Maria: Julia, have you done your Virgin or Guadalupe pilgrimage yet?

Julia: No, Maria, it seems really far from Puebla to Mexico City, like 130 kilometers or more, and most of it uphill!

Maria: That is no excuse, Julia, as a good Catholic, you should do this! Why don't you join us, we are riding our bikes this year! And consider yourself lucky, if you were from Oaxaca, you would have to do your pilgrimage to Juquila, far up in the Sierras across several mountain passes. Come to Mexico City, Julia, it will be fun!

Julia: OK, Maria, you convinced me. What is the route, how will we get to Mexico City?

Maria: Easy, Julia, the straightest road is the federal highway, where we will ride our bikes in the right lane, while all the high speed traffic goes whipping by at 120 kilometers (75 miles) per hour in the other two lanes.

Julia: Oh yes, that sounds wonderful, and a very good idea. Can my little brother join us?

Maria: Of course, anyone can walk or ride with us on the highway.

Julia: Great! I might need some help carrying the family Virgin statue all the way to Puebla considering this is my first time, so if my little brother came, it would help.

Maria: Yes, we recommend you tie the statue or the framed image high on your back or shoulders to be safe.

Julia: Great idea. Who will be carrying the virgin from the church?

Maria: Oh no, Julia, we don't carry her. We build her an altar, special, in the back of my uncle's pick up truck, the old diesel one with the really strong emissions because the muffler is almost gone. She rides all the way to Mexico City in front of us on our bicycles, also in the right lane. This way, she is our visual inspiration, our spiritual guide and our protector during our pilgrimage.


Julia: Wow. I am so excited! I am going to rush home now and tell my mother and my brother. Thank you for inviting me, Maria!

Maria: Wait, Julia, don't forget your team shirt!

End Scene.

No comments: