Saturday, November 15, 2014

Lights and Gas

We just sort of moved in last night. This means that we slept in the new house and brought over the cat (Diego). We still have clothes and a few other things at the little house in the hills that we rented for 3 weeks while we got established.

Established is a big word. I will consider us established when we can cook on the new stove. Let me back up a little here.

Last Friday which was our second week in Oaxaca we received the keys to the apartment. I call it a house because it has four floors. Maybe an apartment because we rent. Anyway, we received the keys late in the day.

First off we discover that the upstairs bathroom door is closed and locked. We do not have the key to unlock it which means that we need a locksmith. So on last Saturday we go to Home Depot (yes we have one here) and buy a new door knob, a light sconce and 2 track lights for the kitchen.

I drill out the key hole to remove the old lock on the bathroom door. Boy! That metal is hard. But while I was trying to drill out the lock I see that the plate over the knob cab pop off and then the whole lock can be easily removed. Lucky me.

Next is the installation of the track lights. The 2 existing kitchen lights are bare bulbs that dangle on the wires protruding through a round hole in the centre of a square metal plate.
No problem I think, just snip off the bulb par, keep the wires and attach the new fixture using the screws that hold the square plate in place. Oh, oh! The screws are set wider apart than the new fixture. I have a fix for that, just drill 2 holes in the plate the right distance apart and screw the fixture bracket to that. Super. Oh, oh! The bracket now covers the hole where the wires protrude. Okay then. Let's drill two holes in the plate beside the bracket large enough for the wires to come through. Note that I was not stupid and did the drilling while the metal plate was attached to the ceiling. I removed the plate and did all the drilling outside.

After that it was easy to attach the light.

The fridge and stove arrive on Monday. That's a good start. But I have to connect the gas to the stove so off we go to the handy dandy hardware store that has everything. That is, if you know the Spanish words for things. But with pictures that I draw and the manual for the stove I get the connectors, the flexible hose and an adjustable wrench - we are good to go.

Back home I connect the stove. Now let's turn on the gas. The gas (propane) tank is on the roof. So Tanya and I take the circular iron staircase up to the roof with the plan to have Tanya open the valve while I go back downstairs to check for leaks using soapy water. Great to have a plan. Oops! The gas valve does not budge. We are stopped. Let's call the landlord to get the valve open.

Days go by and no response from the landlord. But good news, the beds arrive on Thursday. Fantastic. We decide on Friday night to sleep over and bring the cat. I'll get the gas resolved in the morning.

Ah ha! I get the gas valve open but too bad-no gas in the tank anyway. So we call Gas de Oaxaca who will deliver gas sometime. I cannot understand the gentleman's reply of when the gas will arrive. Maybe this morning or afternoon. Maybe never but I will stay home and wait.

Good news though. After waiting all day yesterday for the cable guys to come and install internet and TV access they arrive this morning at 9:30 am and we had service by 11:00.

So here I am, Saturday afternoon sitting alone in our kitchen waiting for the gas to arrive while Tanya is out at the fabric store getting materials to cover all of our windows. Maybe we will be established by nightfall.

1 comment:

T said...

I just love that the bare bulb is the height of Mexican lighting standards. And the prices for light fixture are ridiculous, of course!